The Kat Life

how I'm choosing to live my best life

Main Categories
Seasonal
Holiday
Katherine Moon
Katherine Isabella Moon
Meow, hello there, my name is Katherine, but you can call me Kat; because I basically am a cat. Anyways, I am a 26-year-old, lifestyle blogger, with an INFP-T personality type, from the United States. I love fashion, the color pink, cats, dogs, and spending all my time on my computer. I'm often seen wearing cat ears headbands.
The Kat Life
The Kat Life

how I'm choosing to live my best life

Friday, April 19, 2019

The Top 6 Main Reasons I Don't Want To Get Out Of Bed

Photo courtesy of Sylvie Tittle on Unsplash

I absolutely L-O-V-E my bed! So much so that sometimes I really don't want to get out of it, but let's be real, no one wants to leave their bed in the morning. Despite the fact that I don't want to get out of bed, I know that I can't just stay in bed all day; and that getting up at a decently early hour allows me to get more done in the day. As a matter of fact, I actually love the feeling of getting up somewhat early in the morning, once that "morning feeling" passes, and I'm always amazed at how much I can get done before my afternoon workout when I get out of bed by 8:00 AM. (Which I realize isn't exactly early, but I'm naturally a night owl and I go to bed at 12:00 AM, so it feels early for me, haha.)

Still though, despite knowing how good it feels to get up at a decent hour, and how much more I can actually get done in a day when I don't oversleep, as well as knowing that oversleeping makes me feel physically crappy, sometimes I have the hardest time getting out of bed. As a matter of fact, sometimes my feet don't even end up hitting the floor until almost 11:00 AM, and I'll end up feeling not only super groggy from oversleeping, but like I wasted the day away. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with sleeping in, especially on days where you ended up going to bed way late the night before (and for Daylight Saving Time); or for when you're not feeling well. But personally, I find it easy to just make excuses to stay in bed longer on most of these days.

Luckily I do have a few little things that help me get out of bed, and I've also found that trying to figure out exactly why I don't want to get out of bed helps a bit too.






6 - Having a really good dream, or sometimes a bad dream


Photo courtesy of Skylar Sahakian on Unsplash

This may seem silly, but when I have a really good dream, I just want to go back to sleep and keep dreaming it! Whether it's a dream about finding true love (I'm a hopeless romantic, come on), living in a really nice house, visiting (or living in) one of my bucket list destinations, or being a super successful girl boss, I don't want the dream to end! So I tend to fall right back asleep to keep dreaming; sometimes only to have a different dream anyways (sometimes even a bad one). I've always been a dreamer, so it's hard to resist the temptation to keep having a good dream, but you know what they say; you can choose to stay asleep with your dreams, or you can wake up and chase them. So perhaps I should use those good dreams as some motivation to really go after some of my dreams and stop waiting, so they won't just be dreams anymore; but reality.

On the contrary, though, I also have a hard time getting out of bed after a bad dream or even a nightmare; and it's even worse when it's something that seems realistic, rather than just being chased by zombies or something from a horror film. Even though I definitely don't want to fall back asleep and have that dream again, sometimes a bad dream will leave me a bit shaken or upset, and I just won't want to get up; or I'll hope that by falling back asleep I'll have a better dream and won't have to start my day on a bad note. Although the mere fact that it was just a bad dream, and that it isn't really happening, is definitely something to be happy about!



5 - It feels cold in my room


Photo courtesy of Tracey Hocking on Unsplash

I sleep with a lot of blankets, usually five to seven in the colder months, and four in the warmer months. I know, that's totally crazy, but some of them are thinner, and I love the weight of all those blankets while I'm sleeping; it kind of feels like I'm being snuggled. I just love the security of it, and the warmth of it; especially in the Winter. So needless to say, when I get out from under the covers, it's going to feel a little bit colder in my room than it does under my blankets. Which is what sometimes makes me dive right back under the covers after shutting off my alarm on the other side of the room; and why I need to have something cozy to throw on the second I get out of bed during the colder months.

This is mainly only an issue in the Winter when it tends to be colder in my room in general; as four blankets are still probably way too much in the Summer; but I can't sleep without the weight of them. So I love the feeling of the cooler air in my room in the morning in the Summer.



4 - I don't feel good (physically or mentally)


Photo courtesy of Pixabay on Pexels

As I'm writing this post, I'm actually dealing with some minor Spring allergies. They aren't too bad, but they certainly are annoying and are just enough to make me feel a little bit drowsy, and I'd be lying if I said they haven't been a factor in making me want to just sleep in over the last couple weeks. Mind you too, the allergy symptoms I'm having are rather minor and are more of a nuisance than anything else; so when I'm really not feeling good or have a bad cold, that's another thing entirely. Although when I have a bad cold, or when I'm just not feeling good at all, it's not a bad idea to just stay in bed and get as much rest as possible; but I do prefer to at least watch some TV/Netflix shows, movies, or YouTube videos instead of just sleeping all day. That's just me though so I can feel like I did a little something; even if it's not something productive or super important.

I also have a hard time getting out of bed when I'm feeling really stressed out or feeling super anxious, as well as when I'm feeling really sad or depressed; sometimes all together. Sometimes this also comes along with not feeling good physically, especially when something happens in my life that causes me significant distress; luckily this isn't a daily or regular thing though. On the days where I don't want to get out of bed, purely because I'm feeling stressed or down, sometimes I just need to try to do something to calm my mind down, and take it easy as I go through the day. Remember, there is nothing wrong with taking a mental health break.



3 - I didn't get much sleep or slept like crap the night before


Photo courtesy of NordWood Themes on Unsplash

This may or may not come along with not feeling very great mentally and/or physically; as it's no secret that it's hard to sleep when your mind won't shut up or when you feel sick. It's also no secret that not sleeping well can make you feel pretty crappy as well. But sometimes we just have those nights where we can't fall asleep, and toss and turn all night, for one reason or another. I personally have a hard time falling asleep in any place that isn't my own bed, or when it's too hot (as if I can't just take some blankets off, LMAO) or too cold; I also can't sleep when I'm really excited about something coming up the next day or over the next couple days.

There are also the nights where we end up staying up later than usual, whether we were at an event that ended up running late into the night, we "forgot" to write that massive report that's due tomorrow, or we were just playing video games or texting all night. Let's also not forget when Daylight Saving Time straight up robs us of an hour of our weekend in the Spring, although since it's on a Sunday, I just sleep in for an extra hour; still throws me off for a week or two though.

Whatever the case, when I didn't get much sleep or couldn't sleep well at all the night before, my alarm ends up getting two middle fingers in the morning. Especially since somehow I'm always able to sleep by the time it's time to wake up on the nights where I couldn't sleep; regardless of what was keeping me up. 

I'll be honest, if it's the weekend, or there's no reason why I actually have to be awake, I'll just sleep in. Especially if I ended up going to bed late the night before. Sometimes though, I think it's better to just get out of bed and go about my day. Knowing that even though I'm a bit tired; I'll sleep very well when it is actually time for bed, as long as I don't take a five hour day in the middle of the day. Which I'm totally guilty of, but I don't really recommend because it's those long naps that often make me unable to sleep at night.



2 - I'm dreading something in my day


Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Lies on Unsplash

If there's anything I'm dreading in my day, especially in the morning, I tend to want to just stay in bed and avoid it for as long as possible; or even all together if I can. Of course, there are things we can't avoid (without serious consequences), such as school or work; but it's rather silly to stay in bed to avoid the things that we do have a choice over whether we do them (or do them in the morning) or not. For me, just moving the unpleasant things that I can to later in the day (or even canceling them entirely), makes a lot more sense than staying in bed just to avoid them, when I could be using that extra time in the morning to do something I enjoy instead. 



1 - I'm just feeling lazy


Photo courtesy of Vladislav Muslakov on Unsplash

More often than not, the only reason I don't want to get out of bed is just that I don't want to; for no reason other than I'm just feeling lazy. I'm not even feeling particularly tired, sometimes my body is fully ready to wake up and get the day started, but my brain isn't. It seems like a lot of effort to sit up, throw my blankets to the side, put my feet on the floor, and stand up. I mean, sometimes the hardest part of getting out of bed is simply getting out of bed; am I right? 

This is why I keep my alarm (which is my phone, of course), on the other side of the room where I have to get out of bed to shut it off.  This also keeps me from being on my phone all night as well, but seriously, when I'm just feeling lazy, having to get up if I don't want to hear my alarm the whole time helps. 



What are some of the things that often make you want to just stay in bed all morning, or maybe even all day? Do you have any special tricks to get yourself out of bed on those days when you really don't want to? Do you allow yourself to sleep in on some days (such as on weekends, or Daylight Saving Time), or do you just get up on time regardless? I'd love to know! 
Thank you for reading, and I hope the rest of your day is wonderful!
If you liked this post, I'd really appreciate it if you'd help this blog grow and hit the follow button! :)
Follow

No comments

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post
Keep Up With The Kat Life Subscribe to my news feed to get posts delivered directly to your inbox!