The Kat Life

how I'm choosing to live my best life

Main Categories
Seasonal
Holiday
Katherine Moon
Katherine Isabella Moon
Meow, hello there, my name is Katherine, but you can call me Kat; because I basically am a cat. Anyways, I am a 26-year-old, lifestyle blogger, with an INFP-T personality type, from the United States. I love fashion, the color pink, cats, dogs, and spending all my time on my computer. I'm often seen wearing cat ears headbands.
The Kat Life
The Kat Life

how I'm choosing to live my best life

Monday, August 10, 2020

Self-Care For When You Need A Mood Boost

Woman holding flowers walking on the beach
Photo courtesy of Agung Pandit Wiguna on Pexels

It sure seems that life loves to throw stuff at us that can completely ruin our mood, no matter how strong, resilient, or positive we usually are. People do things that piss us off and annoy the shit out of us, the people closest to us may do things that hurt or upset us, or we can end up in some unpleasant and emotionally taxing situations. Sometimes, we may end up in a sour mood, and not even know why exactly we're in a bad mood. Perhaps we may be feeling physically crappy, and how we're feeling physically impacts how we're feeling mentally. Whatever the case may be, it's not fun to be in a bad mood, whether it's over something major or minor, or if we don't even know what it actually is. So it's certainly not a bad idea to try to find some little pick-me-ups to help potentially improve our mood, even if just by a little bit.

I know that sometimes, little pick-me-ups aren't going to help you feel 100% better, nor are they actually going to solve the problem, but they can potentially help you to feel slightly better. And personally, I have found time and time again, that practicing self-care (even when I don't want to) is the best way to lift myself back up out of a rut. It may be little by little, but sometimes that's how it is. Regardless, if you're in a less-than-great mood, you deserve to feel better, whether all you really need is a little pick-me-up, or you need to heal little by little.


Self-Care For When You Need A Mood Boost




Release the negative emotions first


Looking out the window with headphones
Photo courtesy of Burst on Pexels

As uncomfortable as it may be, you sometimes have to face your emotions and find a healthy way to let them out. I have personally found time and time again that trying to ignore them and bottle them up only causes them to fester, and that over time, those pent up emotions build up until I eventually end up snapping. And more often than not, I'll snap at the worst possible moment, and any tiny little disappointing or irritating thing can be the cause. Seriously, when I don't just face my emotions and let myself feel them, they only fester somewhere in the back of my mind. Personally, I can't just let go without allowing myself to feel and release whatever it is I may be feeling. So I need to do something about my negative emotions. Especially when they come from something that's very emotionally taxing, such as a breakup, for example.

Honestly, finding a healthy way to let those emotions out is the first step if you truly want to lift yourself up out of a crappy mood; and there are plenty of healthy ways that you can go about it. Seriously, there's no shame in crying. No, really, there is no shame in crying. There's also no shame in venting, just be extremely careful if you're going to vent on social media. Whatever you need to do to let your emotions out and get it all off your chest, as long as it's healthy and you're not hurting anyone, do what you need to do.



Take good care of yourself


Taking a relaxing bath
Photo courtesy of Ekaterina Bolovtsova on Pexels

Regardless of how you're feeling, it's imperative to keep taking care of yourself, and not allow self-care to fall to the wayside and bad habits to creep in, as neglecting to take care of yourself could cause you to feel even worse. As a matter of fact, sometimes when you feel like you're having a bad day, it may be because you haven't been taking care of yourself. I don't even know how many times I've found myself feeling shitty, and then it occurred to me that I was dehydrated, sleep-deprived, or I had been neglecting some of my most basic needs. Seriously, sometimes just taking care of your basic needs, even when you really don't feel like it, can be a huge mood booster.

I know that when you're feeling crappy, the mere idea of cooking a proper meal or even taking a shower can seem like a drag. Hell, sometimes I have to drag myself to the kitchen to simply get a glass of water; but sometimes, self-care is doing things that you know are good for you, even if you really don't feel like it. Surely, you can take it easy on yourself when you're not feeling your best, but don't throw self-care out the window just because you're not feeling great. Honestly, it's especially important to practice self-care when you're feeling down, as it's the best way to lift yourself back up.



Give yourself a break


Woman laying in bed
Photo courtesy of Ketut Subiyanto on Pexels

If you feel as if you need to take a moment to just rest, then let yourself rest. Seriously, you can't expect yourself to function at your best when you're not feeling your best, so take it easy on yourself and give yourself a break. For me personally, one of the biggest culprits of ending up in a sour mood is overworking myself, and not taking any breaks, or not allowing myself a time out when I need one. As much as I like to be productive, I often can't be productive when I'm stressed out or upset over anything significant. More often than not, pushing myself to work harder often adds fuel to the fire, because then I start stressing that I can't get much done. The whole idea of "keeping busy" tends to backfire for me when I'm dealing with something particularly difficult. So needless to say, when I feel as if I need to take a moment to myself and not do anything, it's best if I take that moment.

Seriously, there is no shame in needing to take a break for the sake of your mental (and physical) health. Do note that this isn't permission to throw all your responsibilities out the window. You still gotta do what you gotta do, but you can certainly take it easy on yourself, pause for a moment, and not take on anything extra that you're not up to. Allow yourself to rest if you need to, and don't push yourself too hard.



Try meditation (or a form of meditation)


Meditation
Photo courtesy of Valeria Ushakova on Pexels

I used to think that I could not meditate, in any way, under any circumstances. I had always struggled to sit still in Sukhansana and focus on only my breath for any length of time. Honestly, I still do; I don't think I could sit in meditation for much longer than 15 minutes. But I must say that integrating even just a few minutes of stillness into your morning and bedtime routines can be very beneficial, whether guided or on your own. I also have to say that, when you're upset or stressed out, taking a moment to consciously sit and do absolutely nothing, can also help relieve some of the tension. Seriously, take a moment to just sit there and focus on your breath. Don't try to do anything else, don't try to resolve the situation, or think too hard; just take a moment to relax and breathe, and try to clear your mind as best as you can.

If sitting still in meditation really isn't your thing, or you really don't feel you can clear your mind and focus exclusively on your breath, there are other ways that you can meditate. Perhaps you could try yoga as a moving meditation, or do a more intense workout to clear your head, or maybe you could simply go for a walk. Sometimes just getting outside for a little while can be very beneficial. You could also try to distract yourself a little bit by reading a good book, or you could color to keep your mind and your hands busy. Meditation does have to be sitting in Sukhansana saying "ohm" for however long. I mean, it can be, but meditation can be anything that helps you to clear your mind and relax.



Exercise


Working out
Photo courtesy of Karolina Grabowska on Pexels

Exercise is actually a great mood booster, and sometimes it can even work as an instant pick-me-up, as a good workout can help release feel-good endorphins. As a matter of fact, one of the primary reasons that I decided to live a more active lifestyle was the fact that it can help to relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. While I can't say that it always makes everything better, being more active has definitely changed my life for the better, and generally, I'm in a better mood than I was before I started this lifestyle. And when I am in a bad mood, a good workout often does lift me up out of it. I personally love fast-paced workouts as a healthy way to blow off steam when I'm angry, but I also love to slow things down with yoga to release some of the tension in my body. Just be sure that whatever workout you choose, it's something that you enjoy.

Admittedly, when I'm in a bad mood, sometimes the last thing I want to do is exercise. But it's definitely worth it to roll out my mat and take the time to get some movement in because sometimes it's exactly what I need, even if I need a little extra motivation when I'm not in the best mood.



Consume some uplifting content


Dog laying on bed with macbook
Photo courtesy of ready made on Pexels

When I'm upset, I often find myself turning to whatever type of content that I can relate to at the moment. Usually, for me, it's sad or angry music; but I'll also find myself watching and reading content that relates to whatever I'm feeling as well. With that being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting something to relate to, especially as this type of content can help you work through whatever you're feeling, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw some uplifting content in there as well. Add some songs to your playlist that get you dancing or that express what you want to feel. Watch some fun and lighthearted shows that make you laugh or smile. Read a fun book or blog post. Look for some motivating and uplifting quotes on Pinterest. Find content that makes you feel good or helps you to heal, whatever that may be for you.

Seriously, if watching cat or dog videos lifts you up out of a bad mood, sit back and watch a marathon of your favorite animal videos. If you feel that laughter is the best medicine, find things that make you laugh. If you're maybe looking to improve yourself, find some content that offers useful life advice, or content that motivates you. Sometimes, just taking a moment to enjoy some content that brings you joy can make a huge difference in your mood. For added enjoyment, perhaps you could prepare your favorite snack to enjoy as you're watching, or your favorite beverage to sip while you're reading.



Do something extra kind for yourself


Person holding flowers
Photo courtesy of Daria Shevtsova on Pexels

Every now and then, it's good to treat yourself in some way. And, when you've been going through it, allowing yourself a little treat can be a great way to brighten up your mood. So if you've been going through it, or you need a little pick-me-up, think of something extra kind that you could do for yourself. There are many ways that you can treat yourself, both big and small. You could buy yourself some flowers or purchase something that you've had on your wishlist for a while. You could have a home spa day and give yourself a facial, a manicure, and a pedicure; or simply take a relaxing bath. You could binge-watch your favorite show wrapped in your favorite blanket. You could treat yourself to your favorite meal. Seriously, there are so many ways that you could treat yourself, it's all a matter of what you'd like to do to treat yourself.

You don't necessarily have to spend a ton of money to give yourself a treat. As a matter of fact, you don't necessarily have to spend any money at all. Perhaps to you, doing something kind for yourself means allowing yourself to spend a little extra time in nature. Or, if you're not an outdoorsy person, allowing yourself to stay in your room watching Netflix or reading a book. Maybe you like to treat yourself by wearing your favorite perfume, or perhaps your idea of treating yourself is taking a nap. Whatever it may be, if you're not feeling like yourself, do something extra kind for yourself.



Wear something that you love


Clothing on a white blanket
Photo courtesy of Taisiia Stupak on Unsplash

I know this may sound a bit silly, but one thing that can often help to significantly boost my mood is to wear an outfit that I really like and put some extra effort into my appearance. Seriously, it seems that the better I look, and the more I like my outfit, the better I feel. Whether I'm fully dressed up, wearing cute workout clothes, or even in my favorite pajamas, I feel much better than I do when I lazily throw on an old outfit I don't care too much for. Honestly, I should probably purge these old clothes that don't make me feel good the next time I declutter. But my point is, sometimes even putting just a little bit of extra effort into your appearance can make you feel quite a bit better. Seriously, don't knock it until you try it.

Even if you're staying home, and you're not going anywhere, you can still wear your favorite outfit for you. You can also choose to go all out and do your hair and makeup, but that is entirely optional.



Focus on positive things


Positive quotes
Photo courtesy of Kreated Media on Unsplash

I know that focusing on the positives can seem impossible when you're not in the best mood. Especially when it feels like there are no positives, and it seems like everything sucks; trust me, I know that feeling. But whether you can see it at the moment or not, you still have a lot of positive things going for you. You just have to take a moment to remember them, and redirect your focus towards these things. I know that's much easier said than done when you're going through it, but it's certainly worth a try over just dwelling in negativity. Seriously, try to divert some of those negative thoughts, especially the negative thoughts about yourself, and try to focus on positive things. Even if just for a moment.

One way that I like to refocus my attention on more positive things is by taking a moment to sit down and really think about what I do have going for me in my life and write these things down. Seriously, take a moment to sit down and really think about the things that you're grateful for, and what makes you happy, and write down everything that comes to mind. I also find that it's helpful to focus on the things that I love about myself as well, rather than what I don't like about myself, as it's easy for me to dwell in negative thoughts about myself. Anyway, with all of that said, I know it's hard when you're not in the best mood, but try your best to focus your attention toward positivity rather than negativity. Whether by practicing gratitude, focusing on what brings you joy, saying positive affirmations, or whatever it is that brings you positivity.



We all have those days where we're not quite feeling ourselves, and we could use a little bit of a pick-me-up. Or sometimes, a big pick-me-up, let's be real. I know that sometimes, it seems that nothing will make you feel 100% better. I also know that a lot of the time, pick-me-ups won't actually solve much of anything. But it's still nice to have a few ways to boost your mood and lift yourself up when you're going through it, or even when you're just feeling grumpy. On that note, I'd like to put out a little disclaimer that if you're dealing with anxiety, depression, or any other mental illness, nothing mentioned in this post (or on my blog) is a replacement for professional treatment. These things are simply meant to help you boost your mood when you're feeling down.

What are some of your favorite ways to boost your mood when you're not feeling your best? Do you have a self-care routine for when you're having a bad day, or for when you're upset? Do you have anything special you like to do on the not-so-great days?

Self-Care For When You Need A Mood Boost
Thank you for reading, and I hope the rest of your day is wonderful!
If you liked this post, I'd really appreciate it if you'd help this blog grow and hit the follow button! :)
Follow

1 comment

  1. I play with make up to help me feel better or paint my nails with nail polish. I got this polish with confetti strips and I always feel a little happier looking at my hands.

    I also listent to audio books or read on my kindle when I'm feeling down.

    Thanks for the great tips, Kat! xx

    I hope you're having a lovely day/night/afternoon whenever you read this <3

    Mari | www.dazedmari.com

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post
Keep Up With The Kat Life Subscribe to my news feed to get posts delivered directly to your inbox!